What can I bring in to the State?

You can bring in fodder from other states, such as hay, lucerne pellets, pellets and by-product, but they must be to standard and they must meet biosecurity standards.

Quality of feed must also be considered. If hay has any mould content it can be deadly for your livestock.

Are there any intrastate issues to consider with biosecurity?

Yes. Consider the area that the feed and fodder is coming from; and what pests and weeds may be in the area that could contaminate it, e.g. ragwort, thistles, Paterson's curse, common white snail). To read more about the white snail, click here.

Consider chemical residues. Ask for vendor declaration (commodity vendor declaration, fodder vendor declaration and by-product vendor declaration) so have written details of chemicals used, especially withholding periods if livestock are to be slaughtered.

  • Fodder Vendor Declaration - covers hay, silage, straw and stubble feeds
  • Commodity Vendor Declaration - bought or sold as stock feed
  • By-product Vendor Declaration - include fruit and vegetable wastes and crop processing by-products such as peel, pulp and stems available electronically (free to download) MLA website (here)

Suppliers do not legally have to supply a vendor declaration. If a supplier refuses to give you a vendor declaration, you can: source feed from another producer, have the feed tested for chemical residues, only feed the fodder to livestock that are not entering the food chain immediately. Withholding periods vary depending on the chemical and its level in the feedstuff. In most cases, withholding stock for 60 days will be enough.

Under no circumstances should ruminant livestock be fed restricted animal materials (RAM). That is, meat, feather, fish and bone meal. Feeding of RAM linked to bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE). And don't feed swill to pigs. To read more from the DPIPWE website click here.

Feed out in identified areas that can be easily accessed and treated.

It is also a good idea to keep records (what fed and where) and monitor the area for signs of pests and weeds.

Inspect feed and fodder for signs of pests, weeds and other contaminants (single crop products e.g. oaten hay, lucerne easier to asses)

Feed and fodder should be securely stored so cats and dogs can’t contaminate with faeces --> toxoplasma and sarcocystis (cat), hydatids and sheep measles (dog).

What should fodder purchasers be aware of/ watchful for when buying intrastate (between municipalities / properties)?

Fodder purchasers should exercise good farm biosecurity and hygiene practices when purchasing fodder within the State. Where possible, purchase from a reputable source who you know to produce a quality product free of weed seeds, pests, diseases and other contaminants. Keep in mind whether you are purchasing fodder from an area with known weed, pest or disease risks that you do not wish to introduce to your property. An example would be buying hay from serrated tussock (Nassella trichotoma) infested properties and importing this Weed of National Significance to your property.

Biosecurity Tasmania recommends giving preference to grain or crop-based fodder (e.g. Lucerne hay) over general paddock hay. General paddock hay can contain a wide range of weed species. Also, maintain records of fodder purchased and ensure vehicles are cleaned for transport of fodder products onto your property. On-farm, you may wish to consider storing and feeding out fodder products in a restricted area in order to minimise risk of accidental spread of weeds or other pests or diseases on your property.

What should fodder purchasers be aware of/watchful for when buying interstate?

Fodder imported from interstate is considered a high risk pathway for entry of unwanted pests, diseases and weeds. Biosecurity Tasmania regulates the import of fodder products into Tasmania under Part 2.16 of the Plant Biosecurity Manual Tasmania (Ed 2016), which details conditions on importing fodder as livestock feed and bedding with animals as well as bulk imports. Part 2.16 applies to any hay, straw, chaff or silage used for livestock feed or bedding.

Fodder as livestock feed or bedding for transport to Tasmania

Fodder cannot be used for livestock feed or bedding during transport of animals to Tasmania except in special circumstances such as transporting horses with dietary/GIT disease history. Pelletised feed is permitted entry for livestock feed during transport.

Bulk fodder imports for use/sale in Tasmania

Fodder products may only be imported to Tasmania under a pre-approved agreement or conditional exemption granted by DPIPWE. You can apply for a conditional exemption by submitting an application form available on the DPIPWE website to the email address on the form:

Other specific Import Requirements (IRs) may apply for products coming from certain areas on the mainland. For example: IR 12 for Pea Weevil; IR15 for Red Imported Fire Ant; and IR25 for Green Snail.

What are the procedures that Biosecurity Tasmania follow when assessing imported fodder?

As fodder can only be imported with pre-approval from DPIPWE, an informal risk assessment is completed on the product based on information supplied by the applicant prior to import. Applicants need to show that the fodder they wish to import is at very low risk of being contaminated with pests, diseases and weed seeds in particular. Certified freedom from weeds, pests and diseases is preferred but not always possible. Additionally, certified freedom from Annual Ryegrass Toxicity is necessary where applicable.

Biosecurity Tasmania inspects fodder imports upon arrival. Biosecurity Officers will look for any contaminants, including soil, as well as any declared pests, diseases or weeds.

Are there any biosecurity procedures that fodder sellers should put in place on their own farms when having trucks or different people on their property?

Suppliers or sellers of fodder in Tasmania should exercise good farm biosecurity and hygiene, just as recommended for purchasers of fodder. Insist upon and check that only clean vehicles enter your property, and confine visiting vehicles and people to certain areas where possible to minimise the risk of spread of invasive pests, diseases and weeds. Loading fodder for transport over hard stand surfaces can also minimise risk of spread of some invasives. Monitor fodder storage and distribution areas for signs of new weeds or other pests. Seek advice from Biosecurity Tasmania if you suspect a new pest has established.

What happens when imported fodder breaks regulations?

Fodder imported in contravention of Part 2.16 or any other Import Requirement of the Plant Biosecurity Manual Tasmania will be held by Biosecurity Tasmania and either re-exported or destroyed at the importer’s expense. Likewise, any imported product that is found to be infested with a declared pest, disease or weed will be destroyed.

Remember that it is an offence to import declared pests, diseases and weeds into Tasmania. It is also an offence to transport anything containing viable declared weeds within the State.

What weeds should I be looking for?

In particular, the weeds to be most aware of are; ragwort, thistles, Paterson's curse. To see a detailed and easy to navigate list on unwanted weeds click here.

Who do I contact if I do find a (threatening) weed?

Contact DPIPWE here.

To report a biosecurity issue through agriculture.gov here.