The ACCC recently released the latest edition of its Small Business in Focus report.
The ACCC was contacted by 179 agricultural traders with reports and enquiries. Small Business in Focus gives statistics on the types of issues raised, with concerns about potential misleading conduct or false representations made by business operators featuring prominently.
Other agriculture-related work by the ACCC in the report included:
- commencing proceedings against Mitolo Group Pty Ltd and a related entity, alleging unfair contract terms and breaching of the new Horticulture Code
- AWB Harvest Finance Pools Pty Ltd amended the terms of its standard form contracts entered into with growers, following concerns raised by the ACCC regarding unfair contract terms
- release of our report on the competitiveness of prices, trading practices and the supply chain in the Australian dairy industry
- ongoing assessments of Horticulture Code compliance across the wholesale central markets
- ongoing provision of information and guidance to businesses on the Country of Origin Food Labelling Information Standard 2016.
- A copy of the report can be found here.