Tasmanian Farmers and Graziers Association
Tasmanian Farmers and Graziers Association

Minor use chemicals

The registration of agricultural and veterinary chemicals is a national matter that is undertaken by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA).

The APVMA is also responsible for issuing off-label permits to allow the use of chemical products in a manner different from the registered use that is shown on the label, where this is considered necessary and appropriate.

Off-label use refers to situations when a registered chemical is used in a manner that is not specified on the product label.

Examples of off-label use include when a chemical is used to control a different pest or to protect a different host (crop/animal), at a different rate, or in a different manner to that listed on the label.

Off-label use is intended to enable the use of agricultural chemicals in situations where extending label uses may be uneconomical for chemical companies (e.g. minor crops).

There are a few different ways to find out what chemicals are classed as minor use, which include:

  • Contact the APVMA
  • DPIPWE State Coordinator – Stuart Bowman, 6777 2133
  • Your crop field officer
  • Ausveg minor use coordinator 

For more information visit the TFGA website